Pages

Friday, April 10, 2009

I've just finished reading the "100 mile diet", and I am now obsessed with eating locally. A couple of days ago I was wandering around the local big box grocery store, and I realize I have no idea where any of the food I bought came from. I recall a conversation I had not that long ago about how it's now legal to raise chickens in your back yard in Vancouver....and there is nothing like a fresh egg. When leaving for Africa, I was aprehensive to say the least about what I would be eating, and yet I have never eaten better....most meals included a fresh egg, laid only that morning, and I have yet to taste a pinneaple that was as sweet and juicy as one that has been pulled that morning just before eating. The thing is I knew where the food came from. (the back yard usually!) I had never thought much about vanilla, or where it came from...yet harvested my own vanilla pod from outside my window. When thinking of Africa, one thinks of starvation and malnutrition....yet there is plenty of food. Globalization means redistribution of food to those who don't need it, from those who do. Eating locally can have massive impact on world hunger, let alone environmental sustainability. Yes, I'm not going to eat local 100%....probably not even 10%, but maybe I'll search out some local eggs, hit the farmers market more frequently then the grocery store, and I've already discovered that buffalo meat from Salt Spring is far tastier then ground beef from the local big box!

No comments: